How to Stay Active & Motivated during the Cooler Months
There is no denying that the return of the cold weather, dark nights & cool mornings can make it hard to face the day, let alone stick to your fitness routine!
Especially now with the Coronavirus sweeping the world, it is more important than ever to keep active as this will help keep both your body and mind at its best.
Many of us have done just that, taking the opportunity to get out and be active during the COVID-19 outbreak, so don’t let all that hard work go to waste, now the days are getting shorter and the air cooler.
It is possible to stay motivated during the cooler months and we have put together a few simply steps to help you do just that.
1. Get some sun.
The sun provides the body with a natural source of Vitamin D which the body needs to help absorb calcium, as well as boost serotonin (aka, the Happy Hormone) which helps boost our mood as well as suppress your appetite.
This is why we often feel hungrier in winter, opposed to a nice hot summer’s day. Sunshine also helps to ease muscle and body stiffness, and helps improve your immune system.
Studies suggest that spending as little as 5- 15 minutes, 3 times a week is all you need to see the benefits the sun as to offer. So cover up and head outside.
Exercise helps the body create endorphin's which help reduce stress, fatigue and make us feel better.
But if getting up early for your morning run or walk is too much in the cold, look for other fun and easy ways to incorporate exercise into your daily routine.
· Grab the family, a friend or a work buddy and get them to join you, as nothing says motivation more than support.
· Look for new things to do, maybe check out a bush walk, go for a ride or get into the backyard with the kids and play some games.
· If you are still at work, why not park a little further away and walk, ride or take the stairs instead of the lift. Or maybe take a walk on your break.
· Throw on some music and have a dance. There is no better way to get the heart racing, whilst having some fun or maybe cleaning the house. Best of all you don’t even need to leave the house.
3. Try some new foods.
Often we spend more time inside in winter, meaning we tend to eat more.
Instead, why not take advantage and give Netflix a break and do some cooking or get yourself organised in the kitchen.
· Look at ways to incorporate more wholefoods into your diet. These foods will better serve your body, making you feel better, and have more energy. Instead of processed foods that tend to give you a quick high but leave you feeling low and help add those extra kilos to your waist line.
· Look online for new recipe ideas using what you have in the fridge. This can be a great way to use up foods you already have on hand, preventing waste and saving you money. Check out our online recipe blogs such as the One Pot Hearty Beef Stew recipe and make sure you sign up to our mailing list and Facebook page for more great health meal options.
· Don’t eliminate foods, swap them. Look for healthier options of the sweet treats you like. This way you are still satisfied but they will be better for your waist and mind.
4. Stay Social.
This one has been tricky of late, however people all over the world have shown us how important it is for our mental health and motivation to stay social.
Get on the phone, video chat and touch base with your neighbours. Ensuring you are staying in contact with other people will boost your mood and help make sure others are doing ok.
As COVID-19 restrictions change and ease, take this opportunity to get out and see others you may not have seen for a while. Maybe meet a friend and go for a walk.
5. Get the right amount of sleep.
Sleep deprivation can play havoc on our bodies, our minds, and it can even stop us losing weight. The cooler weather makes it easy to want to stay in bed all day, but too much sleep can be just as bad as not enough.
On average it is recommended that adults get around 7-9 hours of sleep at night. Testing out how much sleep you need and sticking to a sleep scheduled can have amazing results to how you feel, your concentration levels as well as energy during the day.
A small change can have such a big impact. There are many apps and watches on the market that make this really easy and simple to do.
So keep active, enjoy the sun and get out and about and make the most of the cooler months as they won’t last forever.
Don’t forget if you are looking to get active Just in Fitness Services offer a range of health and fitness services to help get you motivated and looking and feeling great.
Following us on Facebook for more tips and recipe ideas.